Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Doula Delivery

I planned my first birth at a birthing center in Dallas.  It was a charming victorian house with a large, well appointed birthing suite and I so wanted to have my baby there!  Instead, after 12 hours of labor, I was transferred to a nearby hospital due to complications and delivered my sweet girl in the OR.  What I learned from this experience is that you can't really plan your birth experience.  It is very important to go in knowing what you want (induce? epidural?) but you also have to go with the flow. 

Since I have to deliver in the hospital this time, I am considering a doula.  They are essentially a "birth buddy" who will be there with you and your partner the entire time helping out and making sure your needs are met.  Births where a doula is present often result in fewer complications and medical interventions.  While your doctor and nurses will be in and out during delivery, your doula will be with you the entire time offering solutions for pain relief and helping you progress in labor through natural means.  She'll also help take the heat off your husband!

Here is a link to the American Pregnancy Association site and their doula page

There are MANY wonderful doulas in the Dallas area.  I recommend at least looking into it.  Insurance generally covers the $300 - $1,000 fee, which is much cheaper than an epidural!

No comments: