When I had baby #1 I thought that one needed special nursing wear. There's a huge market out there of nursing bras, gowns and dresses. What I discovered during my months of nursing and pumping is that most of these items are not necessary; which comes as good news since most of them are extremely unattractive.
My husband has been plying me to get a minivan since we heard the news about baby #2. I have been extremely resistant to say the least. Until I met the VW Routan. As far as minivan panache goes, it pretty much tops the pile.
I must admit, it is super easy getting the little one into her seat without bending and bumping my head on the door frame. I'm also a sucker for the remote sliding doors and remote start. It is sheer decadence to step into an already cool car on a 105 degree day!
I swear, Delilah of Besitos Photography is a magician behind the lens. We attended her daughter's birthday party last month and she casually snapped this photo of Stella. I take hundreds of snapshots and they never turn out as amazing as this!
There was a face painter at the party and Stella morphed into bat-girl!
Surf on over to the Swell store to indulge in beach inspired frocks and laid back basics. Many of the summer-centric styles will work well for maternity and after. They feature a well edited selection of brands like Free People, RVCA and Volcom. Many of their warm weather items are currently marked down - great for the extended summer we enjoy here in Texas!
If you are planning a shower or the lucky recipient of one, here are a few ideas for drinks that the Mom-to-be can enjoy. I usually offer a signature mocktail at a baby shower and set a bottle of an appropriate spirit nearby for those who would like to "spike".
When it comes to showers, although alcohol might be the norm, it's always easier to do without. It not only saves on your budget, but means there's less people manning the bar and more time to spend in attention to food and decor. A few of the cocktails below do have alcohol in them, but aren't so loaded down that it's not easy enough to remove. Check out our suggestions for making each one as awesome as they can be!
1. Quick Cocktail: Raspberry Limeade Cooler: Eliminating the vodka out of this recipe is simple. Just replace it with a little club soda or even lemon-lime soda and you're good to go. It's bright, bold and ooooh so refreshing. Garnish with lime zest or whole berries and it will make quire the presentation.
2. How To Make Lemon Shake Ups at Home: Part lemonade, part slushy, these Lemon Shake Ups make a big impression at parties as they have the look and feel of a mixed drink without any of the tipsy side effects. Try adding a little of your favorite fizzy soda for a more bubbly effect.
3. Breakfast Mocktail: Orange and Elderflower Spritzer: Some of the best showers we've ever attended have been in the morning. We love the idea of twisting up a traditional orange juice and giving it a little bubbly. If you'd like a richer, less fizzy option try Roasted Vanilla Orange Juice... so good!
4. Recipe Review: Icy-Cool Green Tea Mojitos: This drink can be made with or without the white rum and twists a traditional mojito up with a bit of green tea, perfect for a little refreshment and any drink looks better when there's bits of mint about!
5. Spring Drink: Blackberry Elderflower Spritzer with Mint: If it isn't obvious by now, we're madly in love with Elderflower around these parts. It helps if you live near an IKEA, or have a friend who will ship you a bottle of concentrate, but this drink looks as good as it tastes and can be made for a crowd or just a few.
I became a big Norma Kamali fan during her 2005-2008 comeback collection with Everlast. Her contemporary collaboration may have ended, but you can still score some sweet Norma pieces... at Walmart.
I prefer to shop the collection online, because the inventory in the stores is somewhat hit or miss. I find the quality to be VERY comparable to the quality of the contemporary Everlast line which was in the $100 - $300 range per piece. Most of the Walmart items are $10 or $15 and some are identical to pieces from the Everlast collection.
There are a few maternity items in her Walmart collection too, see below.
This one has a wonderful 90's grunge revival vibe for me. A sweet sundress for summer, or a fall staple paired with a leather jacket, tights and booties. I would wear it post baby as well!
Steve Madden is currently offering an additional 50% off all clearance styles. This is resulting in dirt cheap prices for an adorable array of shoes! I'll be treating myself to these two lovelies at about $20 each!
I am officially nesting at the moment. As a part of my desire to improve our nest, I am dreaming of a new dining table made of reclaimed wood. I would love one that is chunky, solid and rustic while blending in with our mid-century eclectic home. These are a few that I'm drooling over.
I just found this wonderful retailer via their inclusion in a Refinery 29 posting. Wow! Well edited, perfectly priced and on-trend without being "trendy". If you are doing your shopping here, you will always be the "cool mom".
Here's a tiny taste of all the awesome items to be found at the Need Supply Co.
...btw, they are offering an additional 40% off all sale at the moment.
This floral maxi dress from Macy's is a wonderful way to beat the heat! The fact that it is fitted at the bust will keep it flattering while the looser fabric beneath will gently graze over your growing bump. Sunday brunch or dinner out; this dress will take you anywhere and at $24.99 who are you to refuse?